El Condor (USA 1970 / Director: John Guillermin)
This is a US Western
- Runtime: 102 min
- Release Date: 19.6.1970
- This is a US western shot in Spain
Also known as
The Condor | Jagten på Mexicos guld (Denmark) | O Tesouro de El Condor (Portugal)
They'll break through the fortress walls... or die trying! | The biggest, most violent adventure ever to explode you out of your seat! | Where the two dirtiest fighters alive blast a fortress of gold apart!
- Cast: Jim Brown (Luke), Lee Van Cleef (Jaroo), Patrick O'Neal (General Chavez), Marianna Hill (Claudine), Iron Eyes Cody (Santana, Apache Chief), Imogen Hassall (Dolores), Elisha Cook Jr. (as Elisha Cook)(Old convict), Gustavo Rojo (Colonel Anguinaldo), Florencio Amarilla (Aguila), Julio Peña (General Hernández), Ángel del Pozo (as Angel Del Pozo)(Lieutenant), Patricio Santiago (Julio), John Clark (Prison Guard Captain), Raúl Mendoza Castro (Indian), Rafael Albaicín (Officer), George Ross (Guard), Ricardo Palacios (Chief Bandit), Charles Stalmaker (as Charles Stalnaker)(Bandit), Charly Bravo (as Carlos Bravo)(Bandit), Dan van Husen (as Dan Van Husen)(Bandit), Peter Lenahan (Convict), Art Larkin (Convict), Per Barclay (Convict), Romamo Puppo, John Landis, Simón Arriaga
- Story: Steven W. Carabatsos
- Screenplay: Larry Cohen, Steven W. Carabatsos
- Cinematography: Henri Persin [Technicolor, Techniscope 2,35:1]
- Music: Maurice Jarre
- Producer: Andre DeToth
Brown, an escaped convict, and Van Cleef, an alcoholic fortune seeker, are after the gold supposedly buried in the Mexican fortress of El Condor. Van Cleef once lived with the Apaches and claims they still follow him wherever he goes. Brown reckons the Apaches are the army he needs to attack the fortress, defended by the Mexican federal army.
Filmed in Almeria, this ersatz spaghetti western was produced by the great Andre De Toth and stars Lee van Cleef in a part more appropriate to Eli Wallach. El Condor is noisy and violent, with several scenes offering female nudity that is far more valuable than all the gold of the fortress. Like Raquel Welch in 100 Rifles, Marianna Hill is crazy about black hunk Jim Brown. Yes, the times really were a changin’. This is also the first, and arguably best, of three westerns starring Brown and Van Cleef, the other two being Take A Hard Ride and Kid Vengeance. For this one Brown was top-billed, for the other two Van Cleef. – Scherpschutter