From The Spaghetti Western Database
California (Italy, Spain 1977 / Director: Michele Lupo)
- Runtime: 96 min
- Release Date: 16.7.1977
Also known as
California addio (Italy) | Lo chiamavano California (Italy) | Spiel mir das Lied von Californien (German censored version) | Der Mann aus Virginia (Germany) | Adios California (France) | El Californiano (Spain) | Califórnia Adeus (Brazil) | California - mies ilman lakia (Finland) | Mannen utan lag (Sweden) | Kalifornia (Greece) | Kalifornia, antio (Greek reissue title) | Stin koilada tou thanatou (Greece) | Kalifornie (Czech Republic) | Kalifornia (Poland) | Chamavam-lhe Califórnia (Portugal) | Opgøret i Dakota (Denmark)| کالیفرنیا (Iran) | カリフォルニア (DVD title - Japan)
Cast and crew
- Cast: Giuliano Gemma (Michael 'California' Random), William Berger (Mr. Preston), Raimund Harmstorf (Rope/Rupp Whitaker), Miguel Bosé (Willy Preston), Chris Avram (Nelson), Paola Bosé (Helen Preston), Claudio Undari [as Robert Hundar](Eric Plummer), Romano Puppo (Gary Duke), Malisa Longo (Yasmine), Dana Ghia (Mrs. Preston), Ferdinando Murolo (Brooke, southern outlaw), Franco Ressel (Full), Piero Leri, Mario Novelli (searcher brother), Enzo Fiermonte (searcher father), Piero Morgia (blond soldier on road), Andrea Aureli (wagon driver), Franco Fantasia (army recruiting officer), Alfio Caltabiano (bounty killer w/gray sideburns)
- Also with: Alberto Dell'Acqua (soldier on road), Paolo Magalotti (Confederate outlaw), Tom Felleghy (colonel), Manuel Pereiro, Diana Lorys (Betty, hideout madam), Nazzareno Zamperla (searcher brother), Marcello Meconizzi (demobilization official), Virgilio Ponti (Fred, southern outlaw), Elsa Zabala
- Story: Franco Bucceri, Roberto Leoni
- Screenplay: Franco Bucceri, Nico Ducci, Roberto Leoni, Mino Roli
- Cinematography: Alejandro Ulloa [Technicolor - Techniscope 2,35:1]
- Music: Gianni Ferrio
- Producer: Manolo Bolgnini
At the end of the Civil War, a discharged Confederate soldier travels with a fellow solider to Missouri where his young companion is shot and hung for horse stealing. California decides to take the dead companion's belongings to his family's ranch, where he falls in love with his friend's sister. But then the "ghosts" of the war return in an unexpected way haunting him again.
Tired and incoherent attempt to make a serious SW when the genre was already dead. The first half is set in a struggling post war scenario, with not much interesting to say or show. It leads into a short romantic bridging section, just before the film turns into more familiar SW stuff with the revenge story of the second half. The film mostly ends the story elements too hastily, just before they can become interesting or really dramatic, and suffers from a cliched way of lighting (which still has its atmospheric moments) and an inappropriate soundtrack. But it should be mentioned that California is liked by many of the SW community.