From The Spaghetti Western Database
Ennio Morricone (born November 10, 1928 in Rome), is an Italian composer famous for his film scores, especially in Spaghetti Western. He has composed over 500 scores for Films and TV shows, but only about 30 of these are for Western. Morricone's sparse style of composition for the genre is particularly exemplified by the soundtracks of the classic spaghetti westerns, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly ( Sergio Leone, 1966) and Once Upon a Time in the West ( Sergio Leone, 1968). His score for that film, with its sparse arrangements, unorthodox instrumentation (bells, electric guitars, harmonicas, the distinctive twang of the jew's harp) and memorable tunes, revolutionised the film music. Ennio Morricone also worked under the aliases Dan Savio and Leo Nichols .
Born 1928 in Rome he grew up as the son of Mario Morricone and Lobera Ridolfi. In school he had a classmate named Sergio Leone who became a well known director of Spaghetti Westerns. Morricone was educated at the Conservatory of the Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia in the trumpet and composition under Goffredo Petrassi, and choral music and choral direction. In 1956 he married Maria Travia, with whom he has 4 children. In 1962 he began writting scores for films and in 1964 he met his old school friend Sergio Leone who was looking for a composer for his new film Fistful of Dollars. It turned out that both formed one of the greatest director/composer partnerships (like Hitchcock & Herrman,...). It was then his career really started and between 1964 -1975 he wrote about 25 scores a year. He is still composing music for films and touring the world with his orchestra, or conducting his music with other orchestras.Finaly 2007 he received the Honorary Oscar for his all his soundtracks...
Good to know
- Alessandro Alessandroni, a childhood friend of Morricone's, always whistled in his songs.
- Sergio Leone was a classmate of Morricone.
- Bruno Nicolai is considered his "student".
- at the Imdb.com
- see below his Filmography in Alphabetical order
- Filmography of Ennio Morricones scores(in Chronical order):
- Duello nel Texas - (1963) as Dan Savio
- Pistole non discutono, Le - (1964) - as Dan Savio
- Fistful of Dollars - (1964) as Dan Savio
- Pistola per Ringo, Una - (1965)
- For a few Dollars more - (1965)
- Ritorno di Ringo, Il - (1965)
- The Big Gundown - (1966)
- Fiume di dollari, Un - (1966) as Leo Nichols)
- Navajo Joe - (1966) under the Alias Leo Nichols
- Sette pistole per i MacGregor - (1966)
- The Good,the bad and the ugly - (1966)
- Sette donne per i MacGregor - (1967)
- Face to Face - (1967)
- The Hellblenders - (1967) under alias Leo Nichols
- Per pochi dollari ancora - (1967) (Main theme) together with Dianni Ferrio
- Tepepa - (1968)
- Once upon a time in the West - (1968)
- Death rides a horse - (1968)
- ...e per tetto un cielo di stelle - (1968)
- Run, Man, Run - (1967/1968) (uncredited) (Bruno Nicolai (credited due to contractual obligations), (Song: "Espanto en el corazon" sung by Tomas Milian)
- The great Silence - (1968)
- The Mercenary - (1968)
- Bataille de San Sebastian, La - (1968)
- Esercito di cinque uomini, Un - (1969)
- Companeros - (1970)
- Duck you sucker/Fistful of Dynamite - (1971)
- Giorno del giudizio, Il - (1971) together with Claudio Tallino
- Ritorno di Clint il solitario, Il (1972)
- J. and S. - storia criminale del far west - (1972)
- Vita, a volte, è molto dura, vero Provvidenza (1972)
- Ci risiamo, vero Provvidenza (1973)
- My name is Nobody - (1973)
- What Am I Doing in the Middle of the Revolution - (1973)
- Genio, due compari, un pollo, Un - (1975)
- Occhio alla penna - (1981)
Pages in category "Ennio Morricone"
The following 36 pages are in this category, out of 36 total.