Fiume di dollari, Un
Un fiume di dollari (Italy 1966 / Director: Carlo Lizzani [as Lee W. Beaver]).
Also known asThe Hills Run Red (U.S.A.) | Eine Flut von Dollars (Germany) | Sangre en las colinas (Spain) | Un rio de dolares (Spain) | Du sang dans la montagne (France) | Plamena Reka (Turkey) | En flod av dollar (Sweden) | Sangue nas Montanhas (Brazil) | Ena potami dollaria (Greece) | Dollarivirta (Finland) | Balík dolarů (Czech Republic) | A River of Dollars | A vingança do Condenado (Portugal) | 帰って来たガンマン Kaettekita Gunman (Japan)
Two confederate soldiers survive the War and swipe an army payroll. To escape, one of them plays decoy while the other flees with the loot. The decoy is captured and sentenced to five years in prison. After he has served his sentence, he is dismayed and enraged when he discovers that his "pal" has broken his word and is responsible for his wife's death. He seeks his ex-friend for revenge, but this one has become wealthy and powerful, and his killers are already waiting for the avenger.
- Cast: Thomas Hunter (Jerry Brewster), Henry Silva (Garcia Mendez), Dan Duryea (Winny Getz), Nicoletta Machiavelli (Mary Ann), Gianna Serra (Hattie/Abby Gardner), Nando Gazzolo (Ken Seagall/Ken Milton), Loris Loddi (Tim Brewster), Geoffrey Copleston (Brian Horner), Paolo Magalotti (Stayne, Horner bouncer), Gianluigi Crescenzi (Carson), Tiberio Mitri (Union sergeant), Lucio De Santis (Juan, Mendez henchman), Guglielmo Spoletini (Pedro, Mendez henchman), Vittorio Bonos (1st gambler), Pietro Ceccarelli [as Puccio Ceccarelli](Wolf, Mendez henchman), Sandro Dori, Goffredo Matassi, Fiorella Ferraro, Mirko Valentin (Sancho, Mendez henchman), Piero Morgia (Randall, Mendez henchman), Mauro Mannatrizio (Mitch, Union soldier), John M. Gaskins, Luigi Scavran, Guido Celano (Jonathon Burger, farrier), Osiride Pevarello (Mendez henchman), Paolo Figlia (Union soldier), Renzo Pevarello (Mendez henchman), Fortunato Arena (peon), Fernando Ferrara, Nazzarena Zamperla
- Director: Carlo Lizzani
- Story: Piero Regnoli [as Dean Craig]
- Screenplay: Piero Regnoli [as Dean Craig]
- Cinematography: Antonio Secchi [Technicolor - Techniscope 2,35:1]
- Music: Ennio Morricone [as Leo Nichols]
- Song: "Home to My Love" sung by Gino
- Producer: Luigi Carpentieri, Ermano Donati
- Article: Championing the Underdog: Carlo Lizzani’s The Hills Run Red (1966)
- Film Review
- DVD Review (US)
- DVD Review (Germany)
- Eine Flut von Dollars BluRay Rezension
To be added
Versions and runtimes
- Runtime: 90 min
- An Italian and an American/International Version exist. The American version has a double Happy Ending by inserting a few shots which clearly don't belong there. The available DVDs include the American version only. At the moment it seems that the original Italian version has only survived in weak VHS quality.
- Koch's DVD shows a scene at the Beginning where Brewster is beaten up by the Union Soldiers. The German dub changes to Italian for a second, and the soldiers tell him to get lost, it then changes back to German and they continue beating him up.
- Release Date: 9.9.1966
To be added
Production and business
- Box office:
- (1966) 524 (Italy, in million lira)