Grande silenzio, Il
Il Grande Silenzio (Italy · France, 1968) was directed by Sergio Corbucci and is one of the very few spaghetti westerns that take place in the snow. The film stars French actor Jean-Louis Trintignant as the mute anti-hero.
Also known asThe Great Silence (U.S.A.) | Le grand silence (France) | The Big Silence (UK) | Leichen pflastern seinen Weg (Germany) | O Grande Silencio (Portugal) | O silencio da morte (Brazil) | O Vingador Silencioso (Brazil) | Człowiek zwany Ciszą (Poland) | Człowiek zwany milczeniem (Poland) | Suuri hiljaisuus (Finland) | Suuri hiljainen (Finland) | Den tyste hämnaren (Sweden) | O ekdikitis tou diavolou (Greece) | El Gran Silencio (Argentina) | Velký klid (Czechoslovakia) | Velké ticho (Czech Republic) | A halál csöndje (Hungary) | سکوت مطلق (Iran) | 殺しが静かにやって来る (Japan)
Silence (Trintignant) is a mute gunfighter with a sense for justice. He is hired by a woman (McGee) whose husband has been killed to take revenge on Loco (Kinski), one of the bounty hunters hired to hunt down homeless poor around Snow Hill. A new sheriff (Wolff) and the local judge (Luigi Pistilli) make the matter a little complicated.
- Cast (Italian): Jean-Louis Trintignant (Gordon / Silence), Klaus Kinski (Tigrero / Loco), Frank Wolff (Sheriff Gideon Burnett/Corbett), Luigi Pistilli (Henry Pollicut), Mario Brega (Martin), Carlo D'Angelo (Governor of Utah), Marisa Merlini (Regina, saloon proprietor), Raf Baldassarre (Sanchez / Bobo Schultz), Maria Mizar (blonde saloon girl), Spartaco Conversi (Walter), Marisa Sally (Black-haired saloon girl), Remo De Angelis (Fake sheriff in flashback), Mirella Panfili [as Mirella Pamphili], Vonetta McGee (Pauline Middleton), Bruno Ukmar (dragged outlaw, maestro d'armi), Jacques Dorfmann [as Jacques Toulouse on French prints] (Miguel)
- Uncredited actors: Bruno Corazzari (Charlie, bounty killer), Loris Loddi (Silence as a boy), Adriana Giuffrè (Silence's mother), Antonio Danesi (stagecoach driver), Mimmo Poli (barman), Pupita Lea Scuderoni (Miguel's mother), Paolo Figlia (Jack, card player), Gianni Di Segni (poker player), Guglielmo Bogliani (saloon poker player), Fortunato Arena (outlaw in saloon), Rocco Lerro (outlaw in saloon), Giancarlo Ukmar (outlaw in saloon), Giovanni Ukmar (outlaw in saloon), Sergio Ukmar (bounty killer, opening), Lino Coletta (bounty killer, opening), Claudio Ruffini (Sanchez bounty killer), Clemente Ukmar (Sanchez bounty killer), Virgilio Ponti (Sanchez bounty killer), Franco Ukmar (Sanchez bounty killer w/moustache), Mauro Mannatrizio
- Director: Sergio Corbucci
- Story: Sergio Corbucci
- Screenplay: Sergio Corbucci, Vittoriano Petrilli, Mario Amendola, Bruno Corbucci
- Cinematography: Silvano Ippoliti (Eastmancolor 1.85:1)
- Music: Ennio Morricone
- Editor: Amedeo Salfa
- Art Director and Set Decorator: Riccardo Domenici
- Costume Designer: Enrico Job
- Producers: Attilio Riccio, Robert Dorfmann
- Film Review
- Film Review 2
- Film and BluRay (USA release)
- Australian DVD (German)
- Film und BluRay Kritik (German)
- Film and BluRay (UK release)
The movie was produced by Fox, but Zanuck was unhappy with the ending and the movie was never theatrically released in the USA: Corbucci had to shoot an alternative happy end but deliberately made it unusable, Zanuck was pissed and refused its release.
Versions and runtimes
- Runtime: 105 min
- Schnittbericht zwischen ungeprüft VHS - FSK 18 DVD auf Schnittberichte.com
- Release date: November 19, 1968 (Italy)
- Lake Misurina: Cortina d'Amprezzo - Italy - early scenes of Silence on horseback
- Cupellara: Manziana - Italy - flashback scene to Silence as a boy
- Cortina d'Amprezzo: the Snow Hill town set
- San Cassiano Badia: Cortina d'Amprezzo - the Bounty Hunters riding to Snow Hill
Production and business
- November 2021: Eureka release in the UK on Bluray.
- April 2018: Film Movement release in limited theatrical run in the United States. BluRay announced for June. Based on a 2k restoration.
- December 2017: German BluRay released
- April 2017: BluRay announced in Germany for December 8. Based on a different, 2K restoration. No English audio options announced.
- March 2017: Restored version now screening at the Cinemateque Francaise (Italian with French subtitles). Link. "Restored in 4K by the CSC - Cineteca Nazionale of Rome from the sound and image negatives made available by Movietime. The restoration made it possible to recover the alternative end, shot by Corbucci at the request of the producers. It will also be shown. The work was carried out at Laboratoires Augustus Color and Studio Cine in Rome".