From The Spaghetti Western Database
Joaquin Murrieta (Spain 1965 / Director: George Sherman)
- Runtime: 102 min
- Release Date: 2.1965
Also known as
Murieta John (Italy) | Murieta (U.S.A.) | Murieta - musta kostaja (Finland) | Den sorte hævner (Denmark) | Murieta, ha mnaren (Sweden) | Vendetta (U.K.) | Revenge of Sartana (South Africa) | A morte de um pistolero (Brasil) | Murieta! (France) | Murieta – Geißel von Kalifornien (Germany) | Murieta (Belgium) | Murrieta, o megalos ekdikitis (Greece) | Viva Murrieta (Greece)
Cast and crew
- Cast: Jeffrey Hunter (Joaquin Murieta), Arthur Kennedy (Captain Harry Lowe), Diana Lorys (Kate), Sara Lezana (Rosita Murieta), Roberto Camardiel (Jack "Three Fingers" Garcia), Pedro Osinaga (Claudio 'Cockroach'), Frank Braña (outlaw), Mike Brendel (Buck Winters), Gonzalo Esquiroz (Gilley, outlaw), Fernando Villena (outlaw), Héctor Quiroga (Gregg, storekeeper), Juan Cazalilla (Pete), Julio Pérez Tabernero, Jesus Corella, David Thomson, Andy Anza, Pedro Barreto, María Jose Collada (nurse), Rufino Inglés
- Story: James O’Hanlon
- Screenplay: James O'Hanlon
- Cinematography: Miguel Fernández Mila (Eastmancolor - widescreen)
- Music: Antonio Pérez Olea
- Songs: "Rosita", "Corrido of Joaquin Murieta" sung by Jesus Pereyra (as Paco Michel)
- Producer: Francisco Molero
Mexican peasant Joaquin Murieta and his wife go north to California to prospect for gold, finding only one white person, a marshal, who will befriend them. But after Murieta is beaten and robbed, and his wife killed by bandits, Murieta takes out his vengeance by forming a gang of outlaws who rob the countryside. Murieta is eventually cornered by the marshal, who persuades him to end his crusade. But when Murieta is later wounded and convalescent, his gang operates a reign of terror without his knowledge.
This drama is based on the true story of a Mexican immigrant and his wife, who travel to California during the Gold Rush of 1849. Their only friend in the area is an army captain. They are taunted by a group of racist miners, and the wife is raped and murdered. The husband swears revenge, rounds up a group of men, and conducts raids on mining camps in search of the murderers, becoming a successful gambler along the way.