Mio nome è Shanghai Joe, Il
From The Spaghetti Western Database
Il mio nome è Shangai Joe (Italy 1973 / Director: Mario Caiano)
- Runtime: 98 min
- Release Date: 28.12.1973
Also known as
Mezzogiorno di fuoco per Han-Hao | The Fighting Fist of Shanghai Joe (U.S.A.) | The Dragon Strikes Back (U.S.A.) | Knochenbrecher im wilden Westen (Germany) | Der Mann mit der Kugelpeitsche (Germany) | Karate Jack - Ich bin euer Henker (Germany) | Shanghai Joe - Texas jernnaevne (Denmark) | On m'appelle Shangai Joe (France) | Shangai Joe (France) | Shangay'dan Gelen Adam (Turkey) | Benim Adim Shanghai Joe (Turkey) | My Name Is Shanghai Joe | Shanghai Joe | The Dragon Strikes Back | To Kill or to Die
Cast and crew
- Cast: Chen Lee (Chin Hau/Shanghai Joe/Karate Jack), Gordon Mitchell (Buryin' Sam), Klaus Kinski (Scalper Jack), Carla Romanelli (Cristina), Claudio Undari [as Robert Hundar](Pedro 'the Cannibal'), Katsutoshi Mikuriya (Mikuja, Fire Lotus Warrior), Piero Lulli (Stanley Spencer), Giacomo Rossi-Stuart (Tricky, gambler), George Wang (Master Yang), Federico Boido [as Rick Boyd](Tricky henchman), Francisco Sanz (Old Mexican, Cristina's father), Andrea Aureli (Sheriff Andy Corrotto), Dante Cleri (Manuel Omero / Homer), Roberto Dell'Acqua (Smitty, ranch hand), Alfonso de la Vega (Craig, slave smuggler), Umberto D'Orsi (poker player), Lorenzo Fineschi (ranch foreman), Tito Garcia (Jesus, slave trader), Luigi Antonio Guerra (Spencer ally), Dante Maggio (doctor), Carla Mancini (Conchita), Enrico Marciani (Spencer ally), Osiride Pevarello ('False Teeth', Ferguson ranch hand), Claudio Ruffini (Tricky henchman), Giovanni Sabbatini (one-eyed old man), Angelo Susani (stage driver), Sergio Testori, Pietro Torrisi (Ferguson ranch hand), Veriano Genesi (blacksmith), Aldo Cecconi (waystation brawler), Lars Bloch (waystation brawler), Buxx Banner, Giorgio Bixio, Lanfranco Ceccarelli
- Story: Fabrizio Trifone Trecca (as T.F. Karter), Mario Caiano, Carlo Alberto Alfieri
- Screenplay: Fabrizio Trifone Trecca (as T.F. Karter), Mario Caiano
- Cinematography: Guglielmo Mancori (Technicolor - Techniscope 2,35:1)
- Music: Bruno Nicolai
- Producers: Renato Amgiolini, Roberto Bessi
Shanghai Joe is a Chinese immigrant, seeking a new, peaceful life in America. He lands in Texas, where he is not exactly welcomed with open arms, but finds employment as a cowboy, and soon finds it is not cattle the ranch inhabitants are moving, but Mexican slaves.
After a six year gap, Mario Caiano returns to the SW with this uneven west meets east variant. Chen Lee fights his way successfully through a west filled with racists while director Caiano unsuccessfully fights with his directorial talents against an episodical screenplay with too many shortcomings and stupidities in it. Often well directed with some hearty gore effects, some bizarre guest appearances and a beautiful Bruno Nicolai score (which was already used more strikingly in Have a Good Funeral, Sartana Will Pay), this one gives me the feeling of a superior Fidani trash movie.