Se incontri Sartana prega per la tua morte
- Runtime: 96 min
- Release Date: 14.8.1968
Also known as
If You Meet Sartana Pray for Your Death (U.S.A.) | Gunfighters Die Harder (U.S.A.) | Sartana (France) | Sartana (Greece) | Sartana (Germany) | Sartana - Bete um Deinen Tod (Germany) | Sartana Reza pela tua morte (Portugal) | Yksinäinen taistelija (Finland) | Si te encuentras con Sartana... reza por tu muerte (Spain) | Sartana (Spain) | Two Bags of Gold | Se Encontrar Sartana, Reze Pela Tua Morte! (Brazil)
Cast and crew
- Cast: Gianni Garko [as John Garko](Sartana), William Berger (Lasky), Sydney Chaplin (Jeff Stewall), Gianni Rizzo (Al Hollman), Fernando Sancho (General Jose Manuel Francisco Mendoza Montezuma de la Plata Carezza 'Tampico' Rodriguez), Klaus Kinski (Morgan), Andrea Scotti [as Andrew Scott] (Carlos Perdido), Carlo Tamberlani (Reverend Logan), Franco Pesce (Dusty), Heidi Fischer [as Heidi Fisher] (Evelyn Hollman), Maria Pia Conte (Jane Randall), Gianfranco Parolini [as John Francis Littlewords](gambler), Sergio Jossa (Roy, stagecoach passenger), Antonietta Fiorito, Ugo Adinolfi [as Adinolfi Ugo], Arrigo Peri (Speedy, production assistant), Sabine Sun [as Sabine](Meg / Maggie) [poster credit], Nick Jordan [poster credit], Patricia Carr [poster credit]
- Also with: Salvatore Borgese (El Moreno, Tampico bandit), Remo Capitani (Lieutenant Miguel, Tampico bandit), Fortunato Arena (Tampico bandit), Clemente Ukmar (Tampico bandit), Giancarlo Ukmar (Tampico bandit), Gilberto Galimberti (Tampico bandit, Lasky henchman), Bruno Arié (Lasky henchman), Filippo Perego (old man in buggy), Anna Maria Perego (old woman in buggy), Sergio Testori (poker player), Lina Franchi (Hollman maid), Fulvio Pellegrino (poker player), Valerio Tordi (stage passenger), Mario Dionisi (Morgan gunman)
- Story: Luigi De Santis, Fabio Piccioni, Adolfo Cagnacci
- Screenplay: Renato Izzo, Gianfranco Parolini, Werner Hauff
- Music: Piero Piccioni
- Cinematography: Sandro Mancori (Eastmancolor - Pariscope 1,78:1)
- Producer: Aldo Addobbati
Several dignitaries, among them the bank director, organize an insurance swindle by hiring a Mexican gang to steal a strong-box, and an American gang, led by Lasky (Berger), to kill the Mexicans. A mysterious stranger, Sartana (Garko), invites himself into the middle of this conflict, revolving around rival gangs, the town's bigwigs and the search for the missing loot. Double-crosses and changing alliances ensue.
I really liked this flick. The character of Sartana is really one of the coolest or even the coolest. The plot is a little bit complicated but that's what makes the film great. This and the incredible actors - first of all Gianni Garko as Sartana. Next to him a great William Berger (ok, it is not is best role) and a guest appearance of Klaus Kinski. The action and the connected body count is good, the atmosphere all the time filled with tension. The music is nothing special, but fits into this fast western. Definately a must seen. --Lode 16:35, 15 August 2006 (CEST)
- The name "Sartana" first appeared in the film Blood at Sundown (Mille dollari sul nero, 1967), in which Garko played an antagonist called El General Sartana. The film was very successful in Germany and known by the short title Sartana. Italian producer Aldo Addobbati noticed the film's success and set up a co-production with a German producer in Italy. Garko was offered a contract and he accepted after inserting a clause stating that the script must be approved by him. In a 2005 interview, Garko said he wanted a subject that would not be based on vengeance, as he had already portrayed characters bent on revenge in Blood at Sundown and Guns of Violence (10.000 dollari per un massacro, 1967). After he turned down several scripts with a revenge theme, Renato Izzo wrote a story about a smart, non-sentimental character that profits by putting himself between two rival groups. Sartana's use of mechanical gadgets was added by director Parolini, who was a fan of the James Bond films. If You Meet Sartana Pray for Your Death then went into production.
- If You Meet Sartana Pray for Your Death was the first in a series of spaghetti westerns based on the character Sartana. It was followed by four other official Sartana films; I Am Sartana Your Angel of Death (Sono Sartana, il vostro becchino, 1969), Have a Good Funeral, My Friend... Sartana Will Pay (Buon funerale, amigos!... paga Sartana, 1970), Light the Fuse... Sartana Is Coming (Nuvola di polvere... un grido di morte... arriva Sartana, Una, 1971) and Sartana's Here... Trade Your Pistol for a Coffin (C'è Sartana... vendi la pistola e comprati la bara, 1970), in which Garko was replaced by George Hilton. All the four sequels were directed by Giuliano Carnimeo, whereas Parolini was chosen to direct The Sabata Trilogy, after producer Alberto Grimaldi saw his work with the first Sartana film. As with Django a few years earlier, several directors, such as Demofilo Fidani, made unofficial sequels to cash in on the success of Sartana.