Resa dei conti, La
La Resa dei conti (Italy, Spain 1967 / Director: Sergio Sollima)
- Runtime: 110 min
- Release Date: 03.03.67
- Filming Locations: Tabernas, Cabo de Gata - Almeria
Also known as
The Big Gundown (U.S.A.) | Der Gehetzte der Sierra Madre (Germany) | O grande pistoleiro (Portugal) | Luodin laki (Finland) | En Blodig Kniv-Ett Dödande Skott (Sweden) | Un maudit de plus (France) | Colorado (France) | Colorado (Poland) | Un maudit de plus (France) | El halcon y la presa (Spain) | La presa (Spain) | 復讐のガンマン Fukushuno Gunman (Japan) | Sokolov Plen (Yugoslavia) | Velká přestřelka (Czech Republic)
Cast and Crew
- Cast: Lee Van Cleef (Jonathan Corbett), Thomas Milian (Cuchillo Sanchez), Walter Barnes (Brockston), Nieves Navarro ('The Widow'), Gerard Herter (Baron Von Schulenberg), Maria Granada (Rosita Sanchez), Roberto Camardiel [as Robert Camardiel] (Sheriff Jellico), Angel Del Pozo (Shemp Miller), Luisa Rivelli (Willow Creek Prostitute), Tom Felleghy [as Tom Felleghi] (Mr. Miller), Calisto Calisti (Mr. Lynch), Benito Stefanelli (Jess, ranch hand), Nello Pazzafini (Hondo, outlaw), Antonio Casas (Brother Smith & Wesson), José Torres (Paco Molinas), Antonio Molino Rojo [as Molino Rojo] (Widow's ranch hand), Spartaco Conversi (Mitchell, Mexican jailer), Romano Puppo (Rocky, ranch hand), Fernando Sancho (Captain Segura), Lorenzo Robledo (Dave, pioneer) [Spanish credit], Barta Barry (older outlaw) [Spanish], Luis Gaspar (young outlaw) [Spanish], Fernando Sanchez Polack (Sheriff of Willow Creek) [Spanish], Alfredo Santa Cruz (Don Serrano, Mexican host) [Spanish], Francisco Braña (Widow's ranch hand) [Spanish]
- Also with: Eugenio Galadini (photographer), Monica Strebel (Kate Miller), Lis Halvorsen (Melissa, wedding guest), Raniero Dorascenzi (wedding guest), Manlio Salvatori (wedding guest), Luis Barboo (Widow's ranch hand), Fernando Bilbao (Widow's ranch hand), Santiago Santos (Mike, Widow's ranch hand), José Luis Zalde (Mexican barber), Herman Reynoso (Mormon leader), Maribel Martin (Sarah, young Mormon), Silvana Bacci (party girl), Giuliana Ruffini (party girl), Pino Sciacqua (arresting Mexican, party), Alba Maiolini (old cantina girl), Lina Franchi (cantina girl), Franco Ukmar (cantina brawler), Franco Daddi (cantina brawler), Angelo Susani (Mexican bartender), Amerigo Castrighella (Don Gomez henchman)
- Story: Franco Solinas, Fernando Morandi (see below)
- Screenplay: Sergio Donati, Sergio Sollima
- Cinematography: Carlo Carlini (Technicolor - Techniscope 2,35:1)
- Music: Ennio Morricone
- Songs: "Run, Man, Run" sung by Christy
- Producers: Alberto Grimaldi, Tulio Demicheli
- Companies: PEA; Tulio Demicheli P.C.
Versions and Censorship history
There are at least three versions of the film
- US theatrical cut (90mins), which was fully dubbed into English
- extended US cut (approx 95mins, with scenes that were re-added for TV broadcast)
- original 110-minute Italian version (never fully dubbed into English in its entirety)
The screenplay by Donati and director Sollima was based on an original screenplay by Franco Solinas (Quien Sabe?, Tepepa) and Fernando Morandi, which was situated on Corsica, but then transferred into a SW setting. In that course the screenplay was so much altered that (similar to Il Mercenario) Solinas was only named in the credits for the idea.
Jonathan Corbett (Lee van Cleef), a bounty hunter, is assigned to follow Cuchillo (Tomas Milian) who has allegedly committed a rape. A rich landowner encourages Corbett, who hopes to help Corbett stand for senator once he has succeeded in his quest. Corbett embarks on a manhunt through Texas and Mexico, staying on Cuchillo's tail. Corbett catches him, and Cuchillo escapes. During the course of the deadly hunt, Corbett's doubts about the manhunt grow. When the landowner shows up in Mexico to put an end to the business, the landowner confirms Corbett's suspicion. Something is amiss and only a showdown will suffice when everything comes to light.