Buono, il brutto, il cattivo, Il
From The Spaghetti Western Database
(Redirected from The Good, the Bad & the Ugly)
Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (Italy 1966 / Director: Sergio Leone). The Good (Clint Eastwood), The Bad (Lee Van Cleef) and The Ugly (Eli Wallach) are all out to get a large consignment of gold, which is buried in a graveyard. The Good knows the name of the grave and The Ugly knows the graveyard this is in. As they travel through Civil War torn America, they are constantly trying to double cross each other in order to get the gold for themselves. The film finishes with a dramatic three way gunfight.
Also known as
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (U.S.A.) | Zwei glorreiche Halunken (Germany) | Le Bon, La Brute et le Truand (France) | O bom, o mau e o Vilão (Portugal) | El bueno, el feo y el malo (Spain) | El bo el lleig i el dolent (Spain, Catalan title) | Den gode, den onde, den fule (Sweden) | Hyvät, pahat ja rumat (Finland) | Hyvät pahat rumat (Finland) | Goda, onda och fula (Finland) | Den Gode, den vonde og den hjartelause (Norway) | Dobry, zły i brzydki (Poland) | Dobrzy, brzydcy i źli (Poland) | A Jó, a Rossz és a csúf (Hungary) | I due magnifici straccioni (Italy) | De geode, de harde, de vagabond (Belgium) | O Bom, O Mal e O Feio (Brazil) | Três Homens em Conflito (Brazil) | Den Gode, den onde og den grusomme (Denmark) | O kalos, o kakos kai oashimos (Greece) | Bunul, raul si urâtul (Romania) | Iyi, kötü ve çirkin (Turkey) | Dobar, los, zao (Croatia) | The Magnificent Rogues (U.K.) | Zoku Yuhino Gunman (Japan) | Hodný, zlý a ošklivý (Czech Republic) | خوب بد زشت (Iran)
Cast and Crew
- Cast: Clint Eastwood (Blondie / Joe), Lee Van Cleef (Sentenza /Angel Eyes), Eli Wallach (Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez / 'The Rat'), Aldo Giuffrè (Captain Clinton), Mario Brega (Corporal/Sergeant Wallace), Luigi Pistilli (Padre Pablo Ramirez), Rada Rassimov (Maria), Enzo Petito (Milton, storekeeper), John Bartha (sheriff), Livio Lorenzon (Baker), Antonio Casale (Jackson / Bill Carson), Antonio Molino Rojo (Captain Harper), Angelo Novi (monk), Aldo Sambrell (Angel Eyes henchman), Benito Stefanelli (Angel Eyes henchman), Lorenzo Robledo (Clem, Angel Eyes henchman), Luigi Ciavarro (Angel Eyes henchman), Romano Puppo (Angel Eyes henchman), Claudio Scarchilli (Tuco henchman), Sandro Scarchilli (Tuco henchman), Aysanoa Runachagua (Tuco henchman), Al Mulock (Elam, bounty hunter), Frank Braña (bounty hunter, opening), Saturno Cerra (bounty hunter, opening), Antonio Casas (John Mondrega/Stevens), Chelo Alonso (Mrs. Mondrega/Stevens), Antonio Ruiz (Stevens youngest son), Natale Nazzareno (bounty hunter, 2nd group), Enrique Santiago (bounty hunter, 2nd group), Román Ariznavarreta (bounty hunter, 2nd group), Victor Israel (Confederate sergeant), José Terrón (Thomas 'Shorty' Larson), Sergio Mendizabel (Socorro sequence?), Ricardo Palacios (Socorro bartender), Silvana Bacci (Socorro prostitute), Amerigo Castrighella (1st hanging onlooker), Veriano Ginesi (1st hanging onlooker)
- Story: Luciano Vincenzoni, Sergio Leone
- Screenplay: Agenore Incrocci (as Age), Furio Scarpelli (as Scarpelli), Sergio Leone, Luciano Vincenzoni, Sergio Donati (uncredited)
- English Dialogue: Mickey Knox
- Cinematography: Tonino Delli Colli [Technicolor - Techniscope 2,35:1]
- Music: Ennio Morricone
- Song: "Story of a Soldier" sung by I Cantori Moderni di Alessandroni
- Producer: Alberto Grimaldi
- Runtime: 178 min (original Italian version) / 175 min (current Italian version) / 179 min (MGM extended version) / 162 min (international theatrical version)
- Release Date: 23.12.1966
- Available DVDs
- Available BluRays
- Available laserdiscs
- Trailers & Clips
- Business & other info
- Behind the scenes book
- Forum topic
The Good (Clint Eastwood), The Bad (Lee Van Cleef) and The Ugly (Eli Wallach) are all out to get a large consignment of gold, which is buried in a graveyard. The Good knows the name of the grave and The Ugly knows the graveyard this is in. As they travel through Civil War torn America, they are constantly trying to double cross each other in order to get the gold for themselves. The film finishes with a dramatic three way gunfight.
"Ironic, parodic super-western, the culmination of the Dollar trilogy and at the same time pointing in a new direction. In The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Leone enhanced and perfected all the narrative and visual ideas of the two predecessors, while his still anti-epic style is now set against a quasi epic background, and allows both levels not to confront but to comment each other. Eastwood's charismatic coolness is here pitted against the method acted flow of endlessly brilliant dialogue by Wallach, while Van Cleef, just like Wallach in the role of his life, impresses as the ultimate baddie. Morricone's excellent soundtrack, Leone's directing and the film itself reach their apex in the closing triello, one of the most emblematic western scenes ever. One of the best westerns, one of the best films, a true masterpiece." - by Stanton
- The English trailer for the film got The Bad and The Ugly the wrong way round.
- Eli Wallach was almost killed several times during the production. First was when his horse ran away into the desert during the hanging scene with Wallach's hands tied up and still mounted on the horse. Second was during the filming of the chain cutting sequence with the train's protruding steps able to easily decapitate the actor. Finally, between cuts, a bottle of acid was accidentaly placed next to Wallach's beverage. He accidentaly sipped the acid but quickly spat it out. Obviously furious.
- The bridge was blown up three times! The first time, a Spanish army captain (who had been given the honor of detonating the bridge) blew the bridge when he mistook what someone yelled for the ok. The second time, the cameras were not rolling! The third time was the success seen on film.
- Internet Movie Database
- Review by Shobary
- Review by Son of Django
- Review at Fistful of Pasta
- Review at eccentric-cinema.com
- Review by 800 spaghettiwesterns (Spanish)
- Argentinian VHS @ RaroVHS
- Schnittbericht zwischen US-Erstauflage - Gold Edition (DVD) auf Schnittberichte.com
- Schnittbericht zwischen BBFC 18 DVD - Director's Cut auf Schnittberichte.com
- Schnittbericht zwischen alter - neuer TV Fassung auf Schnittberichte.com